Accessible & professional legal services for the community

What do we do?

Community Legal Centres are independent, not- for-profit organisations which provide legal advice, casework, referral and, in some cases, legal representation to members of the community.

There are a number of legal centres located throughout Metropolitan and Rural South Australia. Most centres serve people who live or work in their geographical area.

Centres have qualified solicitors, legal advisors and support staff who can explain the full extent of your legal obligations, your rights and remedies and outline a number of choices and courses for action.

Most centres provide their services free of charge, but please enquire when booking as to whether fees are charged by the individual service (see services provided).

Back to top

Who can access our centres?

Centres give an initial consultation, on most matters of law, to any member of the community. After the initial consultation you may be eligible for ongoing assistance. Alternatively, your matter may be referred immediately to legal aid, a private solicitor or another non- legal service.

In a number of cases, clients are provided with ongoing advice or assistance.

Ongoing assistance and /or court representation is only available for people who are unable to afford a private solicitor ,who do not qualify for legal aid and whose situation has legal merit.

Most centres provide their services free of charge.

Back to top

Services Provided

Most centres provide their services free of charge. If a centre does provide court representation or further assistance, you may have to pay disbursements ( reports) if a waiver cannot be obtained on your behalf.

Back to top




How do I choose a legal centre which can assist me?

Centres can either be specialist centres or generalist centres.

Specialist centres may deal specifically with certain legal matters (i.e. Social Security matters) or may assist particular groups of people (i.e. children and youth). To see a complete list of specialist centres please click here.

Alternatively, generalist centres are able to provide an initial consultation for a variety of legal matters. General centres see people who live or work in their geographical area. To find the centre closest to you, please click here.

Back to top

How to find a centre that can help you

Please click here to find a centre that can assist you with your query:



Back to top